.

.
Welcome to the Orthodox Stitcher! Here you will find original, handcrafted cross stitch designs created with the Orthodox Christian in mind. The Orthodox Stitcher is an extension of Fearn Abbey Needleworks, where you will find more original cross stitch designs coming to you from the beautiful Northern Highlands of Scotland. My hope for The Orthodox Stitcher is that this will be a unique and blessed place for Orthodox Christians ~ and indeed, anyone who feels called to visit and stay awhile ~ to develop their creative side, and to honor God. Glory to God for all things!

PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY TO AFR

Much of the art and design you see on this blog is a labor of love and given to you absolutely free. It is my attempt to glorify God and share Christ with those who visit. If you particularly feel called to generosity, though, and wish to give money for anything you take or share, please make your donation to Ancient Faith Radio. AFR is an internet-based Orthodox ministry which is worldwide. They offer 24-hour-a-day, 365-days-a-year talk radio, music radio, podcasts, and blogs, all by and for Orthodox Christians, and for those interested in Orthodoxy. You can visit them HERE. And you can donate right on this blog via Paypal! Thank you so much for giving generously.

Please Give Generously to AFR

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Stitching With the Saints


You know those folks who have whole, wonderful craft rooms, all organized and light and airy and full of everything you could possibly need? I'm not one of them, I'm afraid. It's not that I wouldn't like a craft room. Who wouldn't? But where I live, space is at a premium. Houses in Britain, as a matter of fact (the new builds, that is) are the smallest new builds of anywhere in Europe. I believe it. Not super-sized like life in America, that's for sure! Yes, I sometimes often miss all that.


The truth is, that by British standards, we live in a fabulous house. Compared to where we lived for the first 3 1/2 years I was here, it's a palace! And honestly, I like it a lot and am grateful for it. Even if it doesn't have a craft room. It does have a little bedroom, however, that we have turned into our "everything" room. And this is where I stitch and design. It's a tiny room. In one corner is a second-hand brown, overstuffed chair and an Ott Light. That's the major stitching corner. I use an old music stand to hold charts. On the opposite wall, we have "Command Central" with two back-to-back desks which hold craft supplies, computer, printer, sewing machine, telephone, and everything you need to run your little world from home. In between the stitching corner and another corner is a window, under which is a little "pub table" we picked up for £3 when I first moved here. I holds a lot of stuff, too, and my dear husband built a drawer on wheels which fills the space underneath. Genius! And the other corner, on the other side of the window...our prayer corner.


So really, the neat thing is, I'm often stitching with the saints. And many a time I pause, look up, smile (or cry, depending on what's going on in life), pray, take a deep breath, rest. It is a blessing to be stitching with the saints...with the Theotokos watching over me. With Christ Himself watching over me. It's good. Yes, the room is small and sometimes I just have to get out, run to the front door and take a deep breath of fresh (usually cold) air. But all in all, it's good. Very good.

Later, I'll talk about some other things I do while stitching. Where do you stitch? Do you have a craft room? Can I come and use it sometime?

Blessings!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments!